Platform 4 a Purpose

    The blog is mainly still active because I genuinely believe that someone is/will/has been inspired by it. When I began acting I quickly learned that it is about 10% of what it actually looks like, lol. I've made a conscious effort since day one to offer 'my' accurate depiction of this business and what it requires.

    Recently I was blessed to be in a room with some of the most influential people in the business. I went to an Emmy event and I felt like, African Americans were not only grossly under represented but those who were present, a number of them, were OK with that. Now, that is a huge 'assumption' but here is why I felt that way. If you are a minority and you attend a predominately Caucasian University, the moment you see another minority you inadvertently 'light up' like a Christmas tree.  Whether the relationship with you and your 'kindred complected person' evolves is irrelevant; I'm speaking solely in regards to the initial 'one-ness' at first glance. At this aforementioned event, It didn't feel that way. When I saw other minorities It felt like, If you are here, then I should know who you are and if I don't I'm slightly agitated and wondering what you are doing here. I left this event and I couldn't sleep. My mind went a mile per minute, I have to do something! I have to impact a nation, I have to say this to other minorities and this has to be a conversation. We don't require more and we don't even value each others presence. If there was a sunrise, and a bell I would've wrong it and yelled WAKE UP! That's where I was guys, lol.





Fast forward almost a week to the date and I was the keynote speaker at the Forgiving For A Living, 'Healthy, Wealthy and Wise' conference for girls between the ages of 11-17 in the city of Watts.

 Awe man, I have to keep fighting! 
     Here's the thing, I walk into this gymnasium and I see girls who dance better than most of the Hollywood choreographers. Than I sit in on workshops and I meet kids who are talented beyond explanation. I mean they do it ALL. Then I take the microphone and these kids who had tons of energy and short attention spans were suddenly captivated because they just wanted to know HOW! How did you become an actor?

So here is Hollywood where we are grossly under represented and here is Watts where we are grossly under served and the answer to solve both issues is ACCESS.

I 'm going to stop this entry right here because my hearts desire is simply that, we consider each and everyday, 
What am I doing with my access? 
How can I provide access to others? 
and How can I intentionally promote access as the answer to having greater impact?  

I'm humbled to have been apart of this incredible event and to have the opportunity to seed our future. I learned that I must maintain balance as to not become burnt out. I have to sow into my community for in that exact place is where my greatest reward will grow. "Dig where your tears fall." -The Alchemist




We need these kids just as much as they need us. Thank you for having me. Thank you for stream lining my focus. Thank you to everyone who will read this and assume a level of personal responsibility within their own lives, families, communities and careers.  


Please continue to keep me in your prayers. I don't blog often but follow me on IG at either @nikivadionne or @justcallmekiva God bless you guys and your obedience to your call. "The Proof is in the Sacrifice" -Nikiva Dionne

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HE'S PROTECTING ME FROM MYSELF

Video 1 or Video 2 or neither one

New Monologue- VIDEO FEEDBACK